Wednesday, October 10, 2012

New injections

Today I started on two more injections and decreased the amount of Lupron I've been taking. I've been taking the Lupron since 9/23. The Lupron hasn't been too bad because I was able to find a position that doesn't hurt and my husband has been giving me most of the injections. I am also still on Metformin.

Here are some descriptions of what the medication is for.


Leuprolide Acetate (Lupron): While it is important to stimulate several eggs to mature, it is equally important to prevent the release, or ovulation, of the eggs prior to the egg retrieval. Leuprolide Acetate is administered to prevent ovulation and to increase the number of eggs that are retrieved from the ovaries.

 Gonadotropins (Gonal F, Follistim, Bravelle, Repronex and Menopur): These are highly purified preparations of FSH or LH or both and are also administered as a series of subcutaneous injections in the lower abdomen. The gonadotropins stimulate the growth and maturation of the eggs. Side effects include ovarian discomfort, abdominal bloating, ovarian cysts and multiple pregnancies in 10-50% of women.

Luckily, the Repronex is only for 3 days because it is terrible and it hurts! I can't believe that next week we will FINALLY be doing the actual IVF. We have an ultrasound next Wednesday that will determine what day they will do the retrieval and 5 days after that they will do the transfer! It has been such a wild ride and hopefully it will get more wild if I get pregnant! =)

3 comments:

cindy baldwin said...

Good luck!!!!! I am SO hoping that everything works out great for you and you get a BFP from it. :) How many blasts are you planning to transfer?

Grace said...

So great I'm glad it's finally happening! You guys deserve it plus I can't wait to have a baby close by to play with! :-)

Casey said...

Wow YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo hoo hoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Background