Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Best day ever!!! (Well one of them!!)

Today was my first day at my internship for recreational therapy!! I am working on a psychiatric unit at the hospital that I work at already. I was really nervous and excited all at the same time! I got there and found out that Jaimie (the lady I am working with) doesn't get in until 9:00 am on Wednesday! Oops! Luckily, the other recreational therapist was there and I was able to follow her around for the first little while. When Jaimie got there we did a group where they watched a movie about addiction. We went on a fresh air walk with the patients. We walked outside for a minute and came back in. Then we went to lunch and came back and did stretches with the patients. After that, a nurse that works on the floor did a group where we talked about thinking errors. It was an excellent group. She talked about how we get into cycles of negative thinking. The last thing we did was go on another walk with the patient.

It was such a wonderful day. I could not stop smiling all day. I knew that I had made the right decision to make recreational therapy my career path. School has been so difficult for me and I wanted to give up so many times. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful husband, fantastic family and friends, and great mentors that have helped me get to this point. Now I know that it was all totally worth it. I hope that I can perform well and become a great recreational therapist!!

I am so excited to see what will happen in the next 4 months. I will try and keep my blog updated with how it is going! =)

No comments:

Background